Thursday, February 09, 2012

It's weird:
the junebugs here. Seriously huge. Seriously gives me the heebie-jeebies.
the amount of freeways here. Get on I-10, take the 101-loop, and... I forget what others.
that we have a lot of kids in our neighborhood yet we never see them except for bus pick-up/drop-offs.
that we have pool maintenance service here.
that we have landscaping service here.
that we have pest control service here.
that we're living somewhat the lifestyle of what I thought rich people have. Yet we took a rather significant pay-cut coming here.

It's weird. (And please don't take that last bit as bragging about what is going down here. It's just surreal to me. And we got lucky (blessed!) with how things worked out.)

Let me tell you what I love about being in AZ:
Uniforms in schools is pretty standard here. Totally cuts out the "I have nothing to wear" drama.
Seeing the sunsets out of the back patio doors.
Seeing the moonrises out of the front living windows.
People seem to smile more. That may in part be due to me feeling happier here though.
I have real life friends here now. Some I've met online years ago and now got to meet in person and also people I've just met in the neighborhood. Lovely!
having a house. Apartments just... well, I'll leave that one alone.
getting new furniture. Hero worked hard to make sure we had enough to live on while he was unemployed and to do some extra little things for our house.
The higher standard of education in the charter schools here. Something Boo really needs - that push that she was unable to get back in WA. (No, this is not a slam because we really loved the school but the ratio of students to teacher was just too high.)
A particular charter school gave me materials to use in helping Big Guy get to where he needs to be for a successful year this fall.
PTA or similar organizations are not common. Leaves out the drama... but I do have to say, there are SOME things that the schools could benefit from... Hm. I'll have to explore this more when things get a little more settled.
Kids' schools (public/charter) are free.
That Hero has a great & challenging job with peers that get it. So awesome. :)

Okay. That's it for now.

Carry on.

7 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

I sure hope everything continues to work out for you guys! You certainly deserve it! As far as the junebugs....Yup. I remember them things from visiting my Grandparents there. Decidedly gross.

Tiffany said...

I'm so happy you are happy there. I know what you are talking about the "rich" living. You can buy a "rich" house for a poor man's house here. People are friendlier, maybe it's the sun...and they are more laid back...to hot to be drama? I didn't know charter schools were free. Very nice. This post makes me want to move there even more.

HiHoRosie said...

Yay! Sounds like you're settling in well. That's great. And I'm happy to hear hubby got a job. Double yay!

Rosanna said...

So happy for you and your family! I cannot say that I don't miss you. Something about not having the Lybberts down the street bums me out a little bit. (weird huh considering I didn't see you all too often?!)

I hope everything continues to be cheery in the good ole sunny state!

Kate said...

:) This is me smiling for you! I understand about the cost of living thing. I don't understand why the cost of living in Washington is so high! I could never afford to move back there. I could never give up what I have here and settle for less there. And I would miss the sunshine too much.

I'm glad Boo is settling in to school so well and that you are so happy! Hugs!

Her Royal Highness said...

This whole post just made me smile. I love that you're happy. I love that you're all adjusting. I love that Hero has a job. I love that you're in a house and have new things (because new starts should also include new things).
I'm so happy for you!

Alyson | New England Living said...

That's so awesome that you are happy there! I remember when I moved to New England and having very similar feelings. It's amazing to find the place that fits you perfectly! Continued blessings!

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller