Friday, April 20, 2012

I walked into my new classroom for Primary... and freaked out a little on the inside because I had a whopping 65 minutes to spend with these 10/11 year olds. Don't get me wrong. I was excited to teach this class! But yowsa! Sacrament meeting ended way early and that was with the Bishopric giving remarks to help fill out the time! Normally I would have about 35-40 minutes. SIXTY-FIVE is a whole heckuva lot of minutes to fill!

I really need to stop with the exclamation points.

!!!!!

Anyway. I thought I'd start out with asking each kid 3 questions. 1) What's your favorite food? 2) Favorite thing to do? 3) What grade they're in. The answers were fairly run of the mill except for one boy who told me that his favorite thing to eat was pork chops. Ok. Um. I like pork chops too. :)

(I really wanted to use an exclamation point but refrained. Aren't you glad?)

Then I let them ask me one question each. Now that I think about it, why did I limit it to just one? Huh. Must've been subconsciously scared of what they would've asked if given the chance.

What's your favorite thing to eat? *fudge*
What's your favorite scripture? *Uh... I just went to some random highlighted scripture because I couldn't remember where mine is. And obviously still don't so I need to fix that now.*
What's your favorite thing to do? *Play with my family.*

Then my favorite.

Are you one of those strict kind of people? *heh heh heh... I didn't say yes and I didn't say no. I did say that I'm all for having fun but it's important that we're respectful and also reverent when studying the gospel. Does that answer your question?  The girl who asked just nodded her head and said her mom's like that. "She's all GET YOUR ROOM CLEANED RIGHT NOW!!! Then she's all fun and stuff."

AWESOME.

I wrote that word in caps so you could get my enthusiasm without the exclamation point.

You're welcome.

Later on during the lesson, we were talking about the Repentence Process. The kid who likes pork chops? He asked me, "If you're in the Navy and you have to shoot people. Is that a sin?"

...

......... No. You're following orders. However, you need to talk with your parents about that. Okay?

Want to know why I handed it off to the parents? I didn't have the full knowledge of scriptural doctrine to back me up. I told Hero about it and of course, he spouts those off. :/

It was a fun class and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.

3 comments:

clybbert said...

That is an intense question for a 10 year old! I would have done the same thing. I would have said No and then moved onto a new topic as fast as possible!

HiHoRosie said...

Yikes on the pork chop kid's question. But the girl's earlier follow up response to her question made me laugh. That is awesome!!!! (I threw in extra ! just for fun)

Her Royal Highness said...

You crack me up. (No exclaimation point, even though I wanted to ues it. I use them too much, too.)
And what was Hero's answer to the question?

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller