Last night, I was watching Oprah's show about YouTube. One of her guests was Paul Potts, a cell phone salesman. He sang opera... and it made me cry. Hearing his voice made me think of my Mom who loved opera. Especially loved tenor voices. I thought that if she were here, I would wager that she would love him as she loved Anthony Kearns who is one of the Irish Tenors.
Just listening to his voice brought up a myriad of feelings in me. Joy at discovering a new, beautiful voice that just lifts me to new heights. Sadness in that I couldn't share this with my Mom. Anxiety in facing the 2nd holiday season without her. (It was very difficult last year, although we spent it at my sister's with 4 other siblings and their families. It was awkward & sad. This year will be our first in spending Christmas Eve with just my own sweet little family.) Finally, comfort.... as odd as it may sound. It brings me comfort knowing that I can carry on the love of music to my own little ones as my Mother did for me.
3 comments:
Oh Sara, she has probably loved your new-found voice for the last year without you even knowing it! And she probably was right there, sharing in the joy of your new discovery!
At least we have the gospel, right? A lot of people say that and even though we know it's true - it still doesn't take the lonliness away, does it?
Hugs to you!! I know what it's like to miss the dear friend in a mother. Hope that feeling of comfort is long-lived, especially throughout the holiday season. And what a lovely thing to be able to enjoy on her behalf (and yours)!
Say...beautiful. I had the same thought about mom when I saw him on tv, too. Love you sis.
Post a Comment