Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Too many thoughts are swirling. And YOU are the lucky recipient of them! Joy!

I decided that spring break + birthday + new baby + sleepless nights + husband being out of town on a business trip + Easter Bunny = DISASTER. To be fair, the spring break actually went surprisingly well. Scheduled play-dates & activities at home made for a low-key week which helped me out tremendously. It's when Hero came home, that everything went to pot. Meh. I think it was hard for Hero to come home and after the first initial "YAY! Daddy's home!" - everyone starts getting grumpy & starts fighting. It's been a tiring week and unfortunately, everyone including moi, was tired and wanted to get back to a regular routine.

As a result of the Easter bunny thing - Hero & I decided that we are going to "ask" the Easter Bunny to send a letter to the children explaining his sadness that while Easter is a time of spring & it's fun to have Easter eggs filled with candy, he's sad that we didn't focus more on the Savior and what Easter REALLY is about. So starting next year, he's going to be called the "Spring Bunny" and he will come on the first day of Spring. To help us out at Easter time, he will be sending us some activities & projects for us to do to help us focus on the Savior and His sacrifice for us. I just hope that I don't lose track of that idea. Er, I mean LETTER. Hm.

My Little Man turned 4 this past Friday. And did you hear? The Birthday Fairy came (he still thinks fairy is FERRY as we live uphill from the ferry dock.) and decorated the place in SPIDERMAN stuff! WAY cool! The sad thing? Only I was the witness to his excitement. It was really weird not to have the whole family together to pump it up, know what I mean? I snapped a few pictures but I felt like a slowly-deflating balloon... it was pathetic. BUT he didn't mind and I don't think he even cared! Boo was at a friend's house for a sleep-over the night before and Hero was out of town. Later that day, I picked up Boo and Hero came home... and like I said earlier in this post, that's when everything went to pot. Like in the worst way. As in, it was so bad that finally I said in a BIG voice that the birthday festivities was CANCELED and everyone better get their jammies on now because it was BED TIME and if they want to have the birthday party, they had better shape up! The kids meekly (hah! not!) got their jammies on, we had prayers and the day ended. I know, I know - this doesn't exactly win me the Mother of the Year Award on ANY account. However, it needed to be done. And I hope that I never have to do this again. The thing is, Boo will remember the year that a birthday was canceled. Little Man? Probably not. He's so easy-going. We held the festivities the next day and it went well. :)

I bought me the entire series of The Vicar of Dibley. I love me a good Britcom. It's naughty in bits but it really makes me laugh and I could use those during the midnight nursings. I wish I could be Alice. "Abyssinia!"

I need to come up with a nickname for Baby M. I'm completely stumped. On a different note, I love him so MUCH!

I have this sneaking suspicion that I actually sat through a green light on my way home last night. I remember that we had come to a red light and then the next thing I notice is the 2 right lanes had green lights. Typically at that corner, the left turn lane gets the green arrow/light first. Hm. I do know there was a whole line of cars behind me. Probably cursing & honking. That wouldn't matter anyway. It helps to be hearing impaired sometimes and live in the land of blissful ignorance... er, I mean innocence.

4 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

I love that you sat through a green light. I'm laughing.

And you're not the worst mother in the world - Little Man won't remember, you're right. And Boo will and she'll be sure to shape up when her birthday rolls around.

Rosanna said...

I think that we all have moments were festivities NEED to be canceled! Why push through to have a frustrating, unhappy event? Don't feel bad, just remember, "when mama aint happy, aint no body happy!"

Also, I was talking to my sister about the easter bunny thing feeling just "wrong" for the real meaning of easter and she brought up this COOL story that you can do with kiddos while making cookies. Have you heard of it? http://www.fathershands.com/eastercookies/
We dit it this year and I really appreciated the activity. refreshing after all of the bunny/candy stuff!

Kate said...

Time has an amazing way of flattening everything right out. At the time it feels like a roller coaster, but looking back, it was just gently rolling hills. I keep reminding myself that when I'm on the massive roller coaster I am currently facing!

You are doing better than you realize! You go, supermom!

Steph said...

The Easter Bunny has NEVER come to our house. Nor the Spring Bunny or any other well-meaning rabbits. I can only handle so many magical beings at my house: Santa and the Tooth Fairy already keep me plenty busy! LOL
I think it's awesome that you canceled the birthday festivities. Too many parents are afraid to tell their kids no.
Gee, this whole comment makes me sound really grumpy. :( lol

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller