A dear friend of mine who was a youth leader when I was a teenager, asked me if I would fill a spot on her son's team for a half-marathon. She knew I had been running and this spot unexpectedly opened up due to someone dropping out. Her son is fighting leukemia yet he was determined to do the race, even if it meant he had to walk.
Half-marathon. I've only done a 5K and that's like a drop in the bucket. I regrettably said that I hadn't been running for a bit and couldn't do it.
Guess who feels like the world's biggest jerk?
Yep.
ME.
I vowed to never again have that happen. To be in a position of having to say no, NO only because I'm a wimp. And hello - her son is a young married man who has been fighting cancer and get this - just finished some chemo and he STILL completed the race!
Anybody got a stick so I can beat myself up?
Ugh.
I'm not sharing this for any particular reason... other than to publicly flog myself. And to commit to me, my dear friend and her son that I will NEVER, EVER do that again.
Which means, I've started up my training yesterday.
And - -
I'm not stopping.
4 comments:
I think it is very honorable of you to recommit/make amends. You are a good person.
You can do it Sara! I found that if I registered for a half marathon that was at least 2 months away, I forced myself to stick to my training schedule because there was a firm deadline and enough time to prepare. You can do 5K distance, you are ready to train for the half! Woot, woot!
It sounds to me like a moment of fear that led you to say 'no'. I think it's a family-thing to be honest. I'm happy to hear you making moves to overcome that so when the opportunity arises again, you will be prepared to say 'yes'. Love you! Wish I had your motivation sis!
Aw, don't beat yourself up but kudos to you for moving forward. I wish we lived closer! I need to start "training" for something I plan on involving myself in (not running but something crazy like that *wink*). We should try to play an afternoon where we get some hiking in or something. :)
Post a Comment