Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Help! Who are your literature heroes? Books that you would read over and over? I need suggestions as I'm out of books to read.

Thank you!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I don't read books over and over (unless they are by Jane Austen, but that's an exception) because I love to read something new! But here are just a few gems that either changed my life or just kept me riveted (my apologies if I don't put the author down --I can't remember a lot of them!). Some I read as a teenager, some as an adult. In any case, I loved them all (and I read a lot. If you can't tell!):

These Is My Words
Mrs. Mike
Unbroken (non-fiction)
Bel Canto
The Book Thief
Hattie Big Sky (newberry winner)
Winter Solstice
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
The Help
Fireweed
The Bird's Christmas Carol
Villette (by Charlotte Bronte --wait, was it Emily?)
Anything by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre
Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Books I liked because they were so fun:
Fablehaven series
Harry Potter series
Eragon series
Series of Unfortunate Events

Cheryl said...

Oh, and of course, The Hunger Games series.

Also:
The Orson Scott Card Women of the Old Testament Series (pretty good! Although I haven't read the last one, yet)

The Silence of God was interesting

Shannon Hale's Goose Girl series (frankly, I really like all of Shannon Hale's works, especially The Actor and the Housewife and Forest Born and even Austenland!)

Lisa Merkley said...

Um, funny, because the ones I would mention were all mentioned by Cheryl! The Hunger Games is riveting! And Shannon Hale's Goose Girl series I only recently found and have loved. Pretty much anything by her. I just finished Princess Academy (for the second time) last night!

And Josh is loving the Series of Unfortunate Events, although I've never read them. So, they are probably a bit less involved than say, Jane Austen....which I LOVE!

Another series that I love, not because they are involved, but because they are nice clean books without all the Christian preachy stuff (which is okay in SMALL doses!) is Jennifer Chiaverini's series on the Elm Creek Quilters.

gringa said...

Sarah's Key, The Book Thief, The Help, Night, the Inkheart series - just for fun, Astrid and Veronika, pretty much anything by Grisham, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Glass Castle, The Hundred Dresses, Because of Winn Dixie, The School of Essential Ingredients.....I could go on and on!! Happy reading :0)

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller