Saturday, July 14, 2007

For those of you that know me, you know that I LO-HOVE baking and practically anything associated with it. Here are a few (haha!) tools that I can't do without:

  1. KitchenAid blender - my old blender had the plastic pitcher which has been forever ruined by my hubby's countless uses of making lemon-garlic salad dressing (which is to die for.)
  2. Grandma Connie's hand-carved rolling pin - she, and her mom before her were quite the bakers... love having a little bit of them with me while I bake.
  3. Microplane Zester - seriously, this is the BEST thing EVER! Anything with citrus peel - this is the only way to go.
  4. Pitcher with plunger in lid - keeps the kids busy making Kool-aid or orange juice.
  5. Dutch-oven - the best stews come out of this thing! Oh, and a chocolate cake too!
  6. Jelly-roll pans - I no longer use the traditional "cookie sheet."
  7. Parchment paper - it's just nice to use.
  8. Aluminum foil - I use this over my jelly-roll pans to eliminate clean-up.
  9. Oxo Pizza Cutter - dang this thing is SHARP! I love it!
  10. Silicone spatulas (scrapers) - especially since they come in all bright colors now.

I want to open a bakery but don't want to. Why? because I see the waste at the end of the day. Yikes! I know it's part of the business but...I quite enjoy how my in-home and rather un-official baking business is going. People call me up and request particular desserts. If they have leftovers, good for them! One can always appreciate a cookie the next day, n'est-ce pas?

On a somewhat related note (in a roundabout way), I've been asked to teach a "Baking" class for some women. I'm in a conundrum as to what to do. Do I demonstrate a recipe that may have a particular method, such as egg-white whipping or do I just do a bunch of random baking tips that I use like never sifting flour or substituting applesauce for oil. Hmm... thinking about it... I think I'll do the 'Lemon Chiffon Cake.' Doesn't that name sound so pretty & dainty? It's a beautiful, light cake yet it uses some particular techniques in it. Well, I think I made my decision! haha!

No comments:

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller