Monday, March 02, 2009

Hello... it's been awhile, hasn't it? I realized a moment ago that I have been without a working computer (& sneek-ins on my Hero's work computer doesn't count) for about.... ohhh 3 months? And you know something? I realized that wow, I have a LOT of time to do stuff! And wow, I don't. *sigh* That is something I recognize and am working at changing. I even have a list of things to do and... I'd rather just spend my time re-writing my list. Oy.

ANYWAY. That's not going to be the focus of this entry. NO! I'm going to write about my birthday & weight-loss. What? I know you're thinking, "How do those things work together because we're all pretty sure that birthday CAKE & goodies are not synonymous with weight-loss." And you're right. But I've made some observations so read on, dear friends!

February 12th was the day my Mom died 3 years ago. Because of that only being 10 days before my birthday, I REALLY have come to hate my birthday being on February 22nd. But, y'all know I had a cruddy year in 2008 and dagnabbitrabbit! I decided that DESERVED A PARTY! With that in mind, I enlisted the help of a dear friend and set about planning a glorious party. Just for my girlfriends. Just about sharing my favorite things ('cuz you know that I'm all about that!) A lot of people didn't believe that I was turning 39 (they say I look like late 20's, early 30's) and that was going to be my thought behind this party. I'm going to be 39 for the next ten years and when I'm 49, people will finally believe that I'll be 39! (I know, silly!) It was going to be MAH-velous affair! Truly! But, with my Hero going out of town for a week and the dark & dreary weather, Mom's death anniversary, I began to struggle with depression. In a big way. Typically, I'm a pretty positive & upbeat gal. But... it gets compounded by hormones, stress (STRESS!!!!), life, etc. So what did I do? Instead of following through with the party because it's a sure-fire way of having a smashing time with delightful friends, I CANCELED it. I know. I can see now and I think I even knew it then, that having a party & having a good time would be just the ticket to chase the blues away, but...I succumbed to my depression. I just felt so sad. So tired & sad.

Yet through that dark time, I had little rays of sunshine come my way that made me feel good. I received cards in the mail, happy texts on my phone, a bag of happy socks, a package of dangly earrings, a free day of babysitting. Just from my friends alone! I felt loved. And KNOW that I am loved. Such a lovely feeling.

However, the best gift, the best birthday present I received? Was when I was at church and a woman came up to me with a huge smile and said, " I didn't even recognize you! You've lost so much weight!" I looked at her and said, "That's a good thing, right?" She smiled and agreed. I walked away from that feeling so incredibly happy and so... at peace. Weird, huh? I suppose I felt at peace because finally I was doing something for me. Finally I was working at getting myself to a better place and somebody recognized that.

What have I been doing? Well, it took me awhile to get to the point where I enjoy exercising. Um... okay, it's STILL taking me awhile to truly enjoy it, but I digress. I've started measuring. My neighbor who is a fitness instructor, told my husband to do that and so I decided to follow suit. I didn't like doing it but hey, seeing numbers in the 10's is a whole lot better than seeing numbers in the hundreds. (NO - I do NOT weight 500 pounds!) I wrote them down on a scrap of paper and left it at that. Then I started walking. And doing turbo-jam with my 3yo Little Man. And doing "funny" stomach exercises that resemble a person trying to do a funky windmill action but side-to-side. I started drinking water. (I should mention that I don't drink juice, very little milk, no pop and literally can go a whole day without drinking water. Yes, I know that's bad.) A month later, I lost 1 1/2" on my arms, 2 1/2" on my stomach, 2" on my hips, 1" on my thighs. The 2nd month, I lost another inch on all of those. And I weighed myself. Just out of curiosity. I started to cry because I finally broke through a number that I had been stuck at for too long. (Did I ever tell you that I gained a LOT of weight after my Mom died? Yeah - not good. 20 pounds. Ugh.)

Don't you find that when you've been working at a goal and somebody recognizes it and is just so happy for you, that it puts a little spring into your step? You're feeling happier & even excited about continuing to work on that goal? It's amazing! Why don't we do it more often though? Hm.

BUT - I have to share a SERIOUS weight-loss tip with you that is critical (in my eyes) to being successful in trimming up one's body. Are you ready for it? Seriously, I need to know if you are. Okay - here goes. It's to GET A NEW BRA! For real. And I don't mean just get one off the rack. Get a professional fitting. And while you're at it, get at least 2 bras. Why at least 2? Because your bra needs to "rest." So, switch out the bras and they'll stay "true to form" a LOT longer. Trust me. A well-fitting bra will put your girls in their proper places, which is NOT by your elbows which pudges you up. Your shirts will fit better, you'll stand more proper (how can you help it with having them high & perky?) and that, in turn, flattens the appearance of your stomach! SWEET!

So what's the real tie-in between my birthday & weight-loss? I got two new bras for my birthday.

:)

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

So good to finally hear an update from you!!! I am so sorry to hear you cancelled your b-day celebration:( But it sounds like your birthday worked out well after all - congrats on the new bras and CONGRATS on the weight loss! I wish I coud be there to see your progress in person:) You were always pretty (hello, blue eyes!) and I'm sure you are even more so now.

Ally said...

Yay for new bras! :-D

I'm glad you're back. I've missed you.

Happy (very belated) Birthday.

And congratulations on the weight loss!

It sounds like you're doing fabulous, in spite of the cancelled party. ;-)

(And it is definitely nice when others notice the progress after all our hard efforts!)

Cheers. :)

Her Royal Highness said...

Hurrah for new bras! I got fitted after losing all my weight & LOVE the bra I bought from VS. I wish they sold it in nursing form, though...
I'm glad you liked the earrings & that your birthday was alright afterall.
Keep up on the great workout! I look forward to us having to do some shopping come May!!!

Kate said...

Welcome back! Congrats on the weight loss and Happy B-day!!! I made my blog private a while ago, check your e-mails because I sent you an invite!

Rozemary said...

You are adorable! Simply true.
I'm so sorry you had such a rough time, I know what it's like and it SUCKS. But I'm glad you re-remembered how much you are loved. You are a special spirit, I hope you know how many people believe that. 8-)
Congrats on the weight loss, I can't wait to see you!! Speaking of.. PLEASE drop me a note and let me know when you are free.. I really would LOVE to catch up! For real!!

~ej said...

happy belated birthday...hurray for new bras....:)

Rosanna said...

i love it! you always have the best info...and stories!!

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller