Sunday, August 08, 2010

One of the side-effects, if you will, of depression is isolation. I believe I mentioned before that I've been withdrawing from practically everything and everyone. I've learned something this past weekend. I'm not too good at making sure I get out there in the world when most of my family is out of town. Oh, I made sure to run a few small errands but... like I was telling my SIL Heidi, even though I was out & about, I still didn't talk or interact with anyone. On Friday, I started sliding into a funk. Nothing like before but I literally just sat there for hours. I would get up and think that I should start on a project but then it seemed so daunting that again, I sat for hours.

Saturday, Heidi came over and her visit was a literally balm for my soul. I'm tearing up now just thinking about how much I appreciated her company.  It helped me shake off the doldrums... which is kind of funny as it was an intimate chat we had and we both cried a little.

I've been doing better at interacting with people. Even so far as going to a Zumba dance class semi-regularly. Which is a monumental thing for me to be exercising (okay, shaking my booty) in front of strangers. (Okay - not in FRONT, I'm actually in the back row.) It's just, this weekend with Hero, Boo & Little Man being out of town - was too much for too long.

I'm not sure how to fight through this kind of a situation. Please don't say - just call someone. Do you know that I have a phobia of calling people on the phone? Yes. Weird phobia but there you go.

Just some thoughts.

6 comments:

Kate said...

I wish I lived closer!

Melissa said...

I know that I've been in a rather depressed state the last little while. I remember my husband (who really was trying to be helpful...) said, "Just choose to be happy". It's not always that easy... I'm glad you're out and about!

HiHoRosie said...

I guess we BOTH needed the visit! Glad I was able to come by. Thank you so much! Love you Fluf. Please let me know if you need anything.

gringa1364 said...

You don't have to CALL someone....just TEXT me & we'll go for a walk. I know you don't have a texting phobia!! :0) Love you,Sara! Maybe we should just plan on a weekly walk - what do you think? ((HUGS))

Princess of Monkey Town said...

Let's just be honest. Depression SUCKS! Since having it since I was a teen, I can say I know EXACTLY how you are feeling sissy. It's not an easy thing to overcome, and people who say, "just blah blah blah" have no idea what they are talking about. I love you. I know you will get through this. You are an amazingly strong woman and will overcome. Hugs and pinches Sari.

Steph said...

I've been praying for you every night for a couple of weeks now. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.
PS: I hate talking on the phone too, especially if I'm the one who has to dial.

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller