Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I noticed something about myself the other day...

I'm inherently smarter when I watch British movies.

I use words that are longer than just one syllable.

I forget that I know grown-up words.

Unfortunately, when I view British movies, I find myself using similar vernacular in my everyday speech.

Complete with what I think is the British accent.

Then I shudder in fear to think that an actual Brit might overhear me slaughtering that accent. The accent that does not properly belong to me.

Not when I've already got an accent due to my hearing loss.

However. I reassure myself that it adds to my "mystique"-ness.

By that, I mean, people still wonder if I'm Hungarian, French or English.

So I must be doing something right.

Or not.

Speaking of which, a woman came up to me on to ask about my daughter's name which is uniquely English.

I smiled and nodded and said, "Yes, it is English!"

This woman smiled at me and said with a wink, "You're not going to deny that you're from England!!!"

I really, really wanted to say that I was.

I did not.

My child was standing there with me and I had to be honest.

"No, no. I'm actually hard-of-hearing."

She was so surprised and proceeded to tell me that my accent was "really, really good!"

*disclaimer: I am always honest regardless of whether I have my children with me or not. Didn't mean to imply that I'm only honest in my dealings when my children are with me.

*disclaimer to the disclaimer: When I was SINGLE, I would act coy with men who were wanting to know where my accent was from. I never outright lied... but I didn't deny either. What can I say? I was single and looking for fun.

Carry on.

5 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

ha ha ha! That was a good read. Did you watch a Brittish film before posting this? "Vernacular"? Who uses that word? :D I should watch more Brittish shows just so I can understand other people's posts.
Since having kids, my vocabulary bites.

HiHoRosie said...

hee hee!

Okay Stacey said...

I think my Brit friends would find this very amusing, dear sisah. Whoops! There goes my english accent again. ;)

Kate said...

LOL!! Did I ever tell you about the time I faked a Norwegian accent for a BYU class (the entire semester)... just for the entertainment value?

Oh ja! Eet vas fun!

Steph said...

You are a hoot! Thanks for the giggles.

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller