Saturday, September 10, 2011

30-day Blogging challenge...

Day 3: Your parents

My parents were not perfect but they were awesome. If I were to pick out 2 stellar things about them, they would be:
Mom -
1) Her acceptance of everybody. It didn't matter if you messed up royally in life, she still loved you and still supported you. Friends, spouses of the kids, etc. Even if they decided to no longer be part of the family, they knew that they still had a friend in her.
2) Her love of the scriptures. She loved teaching from them and even now, after all this time, I still have people who remember her lessons.

Dad -
1) His ability to make friends with everybody. It was kind of embarrassing when I was an immature teeny-bopper when he'd be all chummy with the guy at 7-11 but looking back, wow. At his funeral, the common theme heard from people was that he loved them and their families. That he did so many acts of service for them. Things I never knew he did.
2) His work ethic. With having 11 kids, he knew he had to work hard to support us all. Yet, I never heard him grumbling about working. It was something to be done and he did it well. There was no job too big or too small for him if it provided a means for raising his family.

And I know I said a couple of things for each but there is a shared 3rd thing about them. They were truly, incredibly in love with each other. They respected each other. Sure, they had fights but man, those fights blew over FAST. I loved seeing Dad's eyes twinkle when he'd look at her and how she would blush but have this little secret smile. Awesome!

2 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

I absolutely ADORE your parents. They always made me feel welcome and at home, and you know what? I did. I felt like I was part of a special club and loved loved loved talking with your mom. I have many fond and cherished memories of just hanging out with her. I miss them both incredibly. Excuse me while I find some tissue. <3

Her Royal Highness said...

I wish I could've met your parents. They sound amazing.

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller