There's a hymn that is sung in my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) that typically is sung at funerals... at least, that's what the Relief Society chorister said! (Hi Lisa!) Yet, it's not so much a song about how sad we are that somebody's passed on and wo, life is over & blah blah blah. In fact, it's quite the opposite and I really like it! It made me think of my Grandma Connie, my Mom and my sister Barbara - all with incredibly blue eyes and all who LOVED to sing & REJOICED in music. It also made me think of my Dad who inspite of having been a country-music fan, learned to embrace other forms of music through my Mom. The words brought a sense of peace today in the midst of missing them... How joyful it will be to see them again! I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have that life on this mortal world is NOT the end. That we will see our loved ones and rejoice!
Thanks for sharing this Lisa - you answered my prayer today.
Oh, What Songs of the Heart (You can click on the title and it will take you to the page to hear it.)
Text: Joseph L. Townsend, 1849-1942
Music: William Clayson 1940-1887
Oh, what songs of the heart
We shall sing all the day,
When again we assemble at home,
When we meet ne'er to part
With the blest o'er the way,
There's no more from our loved ones to roam!
When we meet ne'er to part,
Oh, what songs of the heart
We shall sing in our beautiful home.
Tho our rapture and bliss
There's no song can express,
We will shout, we will sing o'er and o'er,
As we greet with a kiss,
And with joy we caress
All our loved ones that passed on before;
As we greet with a kiss,
In our rapture and bliss,
All our loved ones that passed on before.
Oh, the visions we'll see
In that home of the blest,
There's no word, there's no thought can impart,
But our rapture will be
All the soul can attest,
In the heavenly songs of the heart;
But our rapture will be
In the vision we'll see
Best expressed in the songs of the heart.
Oh, what songs we'll employ!
Oh, what welcome we'll hear!
While our transports of love are complete,
As the heart swells with joy
In embraces most dear
When our heavenly parents we meet!
As the heart sweels with joy,
Oh, what songs we'll employ,
When our heavenly parents we meet!
4 comments:
I love that song. In fact, I love a lot of the hymns that are a little more obscure (or really, the ones that are written for the men...).
I'm glad you've found joy!
Well, I'm glad I did it then! I was kind of wondering if I needed to change it, but I'm glad I didn't!
My husband really likes that song. Strange since he doesn't like church.
So beautiful - I'm glad it was an answer to prayer for you. I enjoy my life here on earth too but do look forward to the big reunions in the next life (just not yet)! ;)
Post a Comment