Day 8: Something you miss.
Something I miss? My sanity? Or is that just a given? Hm. On a superficial note - I do miss having a 2nd car. This coordinating gig sometimes irks me. But, hey - we have a car so I should be grateful! On a more serious note - I miss people. Not things. I miss my Mom. I miss my Daddy. I miss my sister Barbara. They've all passed on. This may sound silly or "she needs help" kind of thing but...let me whisper it to you. I haven't deleted their email addresses out of my account. It's my tie to them. Perhaps that's silly but... Hm.
My mom - I miss her chatty ways. I miss her warm hugs. I miss her "ho-ho" laughs at a silly joke. I miss her offering tootsie rolls to the grandkids. I miss her puttering about in her garden. I miss her vast knowledge of the opera world. I miss her sparkly eyes when Dad would pat her backside. I miss her warmly greeting my friends. I miss her telling me about the things she learned about her ancestors. I miss playing duets with her. I miss... her telling she loves me.
My dad - I miss his chuckles. I miss the smell of Dr. Pepper about him and the gazillion empty cans in his car rattling around. I miss his smile. I miss quiet moments of drawing pictures with him. I miss him bringing flowers every Saturday for my mom. I miss him standing at the top of the stairs checking out the dates I brought home. I miss him being silly and holding his pinky finger out when he'd start writing. I miss... holding his strong hands.
My sister - I miss her giving me opportunities to learn new things. (Tap-dancing, stage make-up, anything with the arts.) I miss babysitting for her. I miss her infectious laughter that just springs up from the bottom of her soul. I miss her love of music. I miss running out for ice-cream with her and throwing them out the window. I miss watching her paint. I miss singing crazy with her on different musicals. I miss... her beautiful voice.
4 comments:
Wait - you threw ice cream out the window?
It was a standing joke between us. She thought there was something on her cone so she flicked it out the window. By doing so, she inadvertently flicked all the ice-cream out of the cone! So it became a joke between us whenever we went out.
So sweet, Sara! I miss my little brother, too. I am sad my kids didn't get to know him in this life. I am super glad he got to meet them, though, when they were little bitties... and have often felt like he was watching over my youngest like a guardian angel. Their personalities are much alike!
I was just going to ask about the ice cream being thrown out the window! ha ha! Too funny!
This is a sweet post. What wonderful beautiful memories you have of each. They were all so beautiful in their own way and I'm so glad I was able to know them.
And hey, I didn't know you were down to one car. You're like us! ;)
Post a Comment