My Big Guy, my middle child, was involved in a scuffle at school. Yes. We got a call from the principal who explained the situation.
He was going to the bathroom when 2 boys came in and one of them proceeded to say that he was afraid of "that kid!" meaning BG. BG thought to himself, "What? I'm only 6 years old!" So he crawled into the stall where the two boys had locked themselves in to ask him why he was afraid of him. The boys freaked out and climbed the wall and over the side into the next stall. Big Guy unlocked the stall and came out and one of the boys kicked him so my kid decided to deck him back in the side. The second boy decided to get involved and started kicking my son. During this, BG told the 1st guy to knock it off otherwise he was going to go tell a teacher. Both kids ran out and it so happened that a teacher happened to see BG on the floor. When he came out (after washing his hands no less), the teacher called him over to ask what happened. He told her a... sanitized version. The principal told my son that we do not solve problems with violence and while it was good he defended himself, he shouldve had a teacher come in right away. The other two boys? They were sent home.
The sanitized version he told the principal was he was going potty, one of the kids looked at him over the stall and he told him to knock it off otherwise he'd tell the teacher. The kid came and started kicking him so he punched him back (kudos for keeping true on that particular point!) and then the 2nd kid started whaling on him too.
Now, I don't know what to do. If he hadn't crawled into the stall, all of this could have been avoided.
help. advice?
2 comments:
Wow! I don't know if I have good advice for this one. Fortunately, 6 year olds have a short memory for this sort of thing, so I doubt (and fervently hope) it will escalate beyond this incident. Once the other boys have been back in school for a few days it should become ancient history to them.
As far as what to do with your son, maybe talk/walk him through the whole incident, helping him come up with alternative endings if he had chosen differently (esp. the crawling under the door/confronting part). And tell him to stay away from the other two boys when they come back to school (it will help the whole thing become ancient history) and NOT to talk about it with other kids.
I also try to emphasize forgiveness and second chances. Two of my favorite quotes that I tell my students are...
1. "Tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it." Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
2. "Don't look back, dahling, it distracts from the NOW!" Edna Mode, The Incredibles
I'm not sure if that will help, and you probably already thought of all of that yourself. Boys are so fun...
Loves and good luck!
I would just let it go. If you talked to him about it and told him how to handle the situation then let it be. But that's just me. He stuck up for himself and I would be pleased with him for that. Boys are silly and who knows but what they won't be friends later down the road?
Post a Comment