Tuesday, September 04, 2012

This is more for me than you. So - go ahead and just go on your merry way. I know, go pin! (Not this! Egads!)

This move has done a number on us financially. Hero took a huge paycut to get into a particular company. We managed things though. But then things kept creeping in... things we weren't expecting. Like $300 a month power bill, sky-high water bill (due to a running toilet, how did we not figure that one out? Urgh!) and and and lots o'stuff!

I have been so careful to do my part to support the family by not shopping for clothes, toiletries, etc.. My clothes are threadbare and I have exactly one pair of capri pants that are passable for being out in public. I do have dresses but I ain't gonna wear them as I have to wear heels and I'm sorry, I'm just not one of those that dress up to go to the grocery store. Which I don't do anyway. (Hubby goes to WinCo which is up by his work and gets our groceries for the month.) I also make my own laundry soap, hang our clothes on the line (hello, it gets dry within 20 minutes here! Good ol'Arizona sun.) I make bread, tortillas, hamburger buns, use food storage. Swap clothes with a friend so my kids have uniforms for school. I don't have any lights on in the house until 8:30 at night when it's absolutely dark and I need to see. I make the kids stay out of their rooms and stay in the living room so we don't have to use electricity to light up their rooms. I don't blow-dry my hair.

And yet, we're a hundred bucks too short for anything! Just can't get ahead and it's killing us.

At the dinner table tonight, I told my children that we really need to be careful with electricity and water because even when (not if!) daddy gets a new job, we wouldn't see that extra income for awhile. I also asked them to remember daddy in their prayers because he's really stressed and we're not sure if we'd be able to live in this house anymore. When I blessed the food, I broke down... being thankful for the food on the table. I opened my eyes to see my precious Big Guy in tears just sobbing. I called him over and told him that I loved him and to not be afraid. That we need to keep exercising faith that things will work out. One way or another. That Heavenly Father knows we're struggling and we need to know that He loves us and wants us to be happy. And again, things will work out. He calmed down and sat to eat dinner. A few minutes later, he said, "I'm going to give Dad all of my money. That will help." He walked into his room and brought me his two pennies. Guess who just broke down and sobbed? Yes, me. Oh how I love that son of mine! I thanked him and said I'd give them to Daddy and that yes, it would make a difference.

He doesn't really know or understand the monetary value involved but you know what? His "widow's mite" showed me what a beautiful, Christ-like heart he has. He gave all he had.

Excuse me while I go sob some more.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I understand. Oh, how I understand!

Lisa Merkley said...

Gee, thanks for the sob, too! We learn so many things from our kids, no?

We're kinda in the same boat. When school ended, that was supposed to be the end of the hard times. But now that we make enough to get off WIC and other stuff, we are paying more for plain old medical care. And because we aren't renting from my mom any more, our rent went way up, too. And now we are paying back those blasted student loans.

Hang in there and know that we care for you and what happens to you and your dear family! Love you!

Mandy said...

Totally crying. Love that boy. And love you too, Auntie. Hugs and prayers for you all!

Kate said...

I'm so sorry things are rough right now, Sara. Big Guy made me cry, too! What a beautiful soul he has! You should be very proud of your family. You'll get through this. We all go through tough times, but it is the love of family that sustains us, and you have a very loving family! I wish I could do more. Just know that I am hugging you from afar!

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller