Do y'all know that I teach beginner piano? I do. I just LOVE teaching kids. I love seeing their faces as I show them the "guts" of the piano. I love hearing their exclamations when I show them how a metronome works and how it helps keep the tempo even. I love seeing how their fingers go from awkward scarecrow tiddly-widdly to sure and confident. I love seeing the smiles on their faces when they learn a song. I just love it!
What I don't like? Is when a parent stays and watches. Especially when it's someone I don't know. I get awkward and then start doubting myself (which is just stupidly easy to do, ugh!) This happened last week and as I was telling my husband about it, a light-bulb went off in my head. I KNOW why she sat in there for her two kids' lessons. She doesn't know how to play the piano! She doesn't know how to read music! She doesn't know anything about time measures! What better way to learn than to sit through her kids' lessons! BRILLIANT!
She's the assistant Primary chorister who always uses 4/4 time when she conducts. ALWAYS. Doesn't matter what song, that's what she does. She's been working on a particular song with the Primary children and as I looked at the music today, I realized it's in 3/4 time. She's conducting in 4/4 time and each cycle will cover about 1 1/2 measures of music. Very awkward. Especially as the pianist just ignores her when he plays. Not cool, dude.
This woman is ingenious.
By golly, she's going to learn how to conduct music.
And the piano too.
Because that is just how I roll.
5 comments:
I love your passion! And you are so smart to figure that out. Good luck with all of that! :)
There can never be enough music taught in the world! You were a wonderful piano teacher for Josh!
I wish you could teach me! I would love to learn to play the piano. I can conduct music. I know how to do that. I learned in HS and our mission president's wife was adamant that all of her missionaries know how to conduct music so taught those who didn't and made us conduct at meetings.
Very cool that you caught that the chorister was using 4/4 time when that's not what the time should have been.
I love music. I really wish I could play. I love that you give lessons!
You are so awesome! I am so bad at directing music. Got called 2 years ago to train all of the primary choristers in my Stake. The last training meeting I had with them I messed up leading a song and felt like an idiot. Wondered why I they asked me to teach Primary Choristers when I had never been one?
I asked to be released and the Stake Primary Pres. said she prayed to know who could replace me and my name kept coming to her.HA HA...lord! I am guessing I need to get serious and learn how to lead.
Any suggestions on where to begin?
that may be her reason, but if my kids started up piano lessons i would be sitting in there watching them too. Why? I guess I have watched too many Law & Order SVU and read too many posts on reddit about deep dark secrets, but i would want to make sure my child is actually learning piano, and not having that time to be molested.
(Obviously you're not doing that.)
It's always "someone you know" that does that to your children, and what an opportune time to do it, when it's just teacher/student one on one.
Even if i knew the teacher and trusted them completely, i would still sit there, because you really never know.
(Just sayin)
Post a Comment