Thursday, October 04, 2012

Picture it.

Target.

6yo & 2yo boys running in circles, laughing their heads off.

10yo daughter & mom standing in front of the rack (ha) of bras.

Mom: "Boys! Quiet! You - sit down and fold your arms! I told you if you kept running around, you'd have to sit!"

Mom: "Now, this is the size we got last time... but it's too small around the chest, right?"

Daughter: "Yes. Can I get that one?" as she points to a padded bra.

Mom: "Honey, look at this. You don't quite have enough to fill it yet"

Daughter: "I can grow into it!"

Female customer with her little kids looks at Mom and giggles.

Mom: grins back at lady, stifles giggles & grin, says in a mom voice, "... you really want to try it on?"

Daughter: "Yes." smiles big.

Mom: sighs. "Ok. Let's just take these cami-style ones too. Just for kicks."

***dressing room***

Mom: "Okay, that one didn't work out. How about we get these cami ones until we can go to a department store."

Daughter: "Okay... when? Tomorrow?"

Mom: "Um, I'm not sure. I'll have to figure it out." Thinks to self, let's see how long we can hold off on buying a padded bra.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this! Had a similar experience with my 11 year old daughter:) LOL!!

Mandy said...

Love this post! I insisted on getting a bra when I was 11 but I did NOT need it. I got a padded bra in 7th grade because I DID need it. I got made fun of for being flat chested :-/ BTW, still need padded bras to this day. Hmph.

Unknown said...

I love this post. Cracks me up. I can see this as plain as day. I wonder if I will ever have this opportunity? I never wanted to wear a bra, even when I needed one. My mom bought me thick camis until I came to the realization that I really did need a bra. I still don't like them!

Kate said...

(Snicker, snicker!) That was such a funny post! So awesome of you to even consider the padded bra for her... good Mom moment. Also, as a teacher I have to say THANK YOU for being a responsible Mom and making sure your daughter HAS bras! I've seen too many developing girls not wearing one. Shudder!

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller