Tuesday, April 08, 2008

HELP!!!

This was a delayed impulse buy on my first venture into garage-sale hopping. Delayed impulse? What's that? Let me tell you! I was perusing the ads on craigslist & saw this beautiful vanity, complete with a mirror. (Sorry - no pic available.) I fell in love. I made my whole family get up early Saturday morning and go with me to this particular garage-sale. Surprisingly, everyone was in a good mood (although, not to go drive around to find garage-sales.) We stopped there and I looked at it, and cried just a teensy bit. It was for $225.00. WAYYYY out of my budget. I thought maybe I could haggle or at least pretend that I knew how to haggle and get it for a cheaper price. But alas and alack. I chickened out. Argh! Hero was totally fine with getting it but I just couldn't justify getting it for that amount. So we left. (side note here... I wish this had been one of those times that he INSISTED. It's not always good to let me have the final word! sheesh!) We then went to an estate sale and I saw these ugly chairs and thought, "Hey - I could totally renovate those chairs into something supah-cute!" But, nobody seemed to have caught my enthusiasm for finding PROJECT FOR THE FAMILY! (Which should equal TREASURE!) It was disappointing... although, I'm grateful that Hero recognized how much this adventure meant to me and worked at changing his outlook & attitude on the whole deal.
Later, he went back to see if he could get the vanity - nope. Sold. He then went to the estate sale and found the chairs & bought them for me. As of right now, they're still piled in the back of my van. Waiting until I can get myself together to start working on them. Something I've NEVER EVER DONE!


SO! We'll see how long - -
-I'll keep carting these chairs around town. *UPDATE* I'm happy to say, I think, that they're now in my dining room.
-it'll be before I decide on the color scheme.
-it'll be before I pick out the paint colors.
-it'll be before I find the right fabric to reupholster the seats.

What have I gotten myself into? Help? Anyone?

6 comments:

Tausha said...

black is the new biege. I am not sure what your house is like-bit i think that if you painted the whole chair black-and then a couple coats of polyurethane so they look a little shiny and don't chip. Then, pick a neutral cover fabric-look at the space that you are going to put them in-pick one color and go with that. Don't be afraid of color-red, would be super cute-but i am a red lover. See if you can find a pattern with it also. But i would defniately go with the black if your house is pretty neutral. Unless, the space you are putting it in-has a definite color scheme. Just make a decision and go with it. If you are dong a total room redo-start with the chairs-then if you hate the chair colors-easy fix or switch! Good luck! thanks for the comments-

yardsnacker said...

hahaha! Congrats! I love projects!

Melissa said...

I agree with tausha! Paint them black and then give them a good coat to protect from chipping. I think they would look amazing!!

Ally said...

Oiy! Sorry, I got nothin'. :S I'm really so not good at those decorating kind of things.

Black sounds good though.

Good luck! (meager, I know - sorry no ideas here)

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

I have kitchen chairs that are black with dark cherrywood seats. Go with black. You can't go wrong. I agree with black. It's the new beige.:O) And, I'm so glad you found my blog. Thanks for you comments.:O)

Ice Cream said...

There are a million things you could do with the seats. I love projects like these but never seem to find the time to do them anymore. I am still waiting to redo my hideous but soon to be amazing dining table. *sigh* So for now I cover its hideousness with a tablecloth when company comes over.

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller