Sunday, December 05, 2010

I went to our ward's Christmas program tonight. It was nice. Of course, they had the narrator behind the curtain so I couldn't lipread but hey... I do believe I was able to get the gist of what the program was about. Hello, CHRISTMAS? ha. Anyway. There was a casual friend who came up to me and said she had missed me in church. I smiled and said thank you. She asked if I had just been sick and I just shook my head. Has the baby been sick? Shook my head again and feeling incredibly awkward. She looked at me a little more intently and said, "Was it 'I just need to be left alone?'" I finally opened my mouth and said, "Yes." She then just nodded her head and wisely started making small talk about my baby.

What does one say? Does anybody who has struggled with depression, loneliness, fear have a reasonable answer? A socially acceptable answer at that? How could I say, "I haven't been to church for months because I struggle with depression, and when it's bad - I feel sorry for myself and it's a huge struggle to even get out the door, let alone go to church."

~~~~~
Random stuff:
When we were getting in the van to go home from the program, Hero apparently burped and tried to pass it off as Boo having done it. Boo just shook her head and told me, "He's a gentleman around you but not me."

Little Man is recovering slowly from his adenoidectomy (?) and tonsillectomy earlier this week. He has become mute. He'll pat my arm and point or make gestures as to what he needs. I hate that he feels crummy. But am happy that he's now asking for "real food." His words, not mine. He's so skinny from having a diet of popsicles all week. :( Around 2am this morning, he came in to our bedroom and asked his dad for a popsicle. Hero had only been asleep for 2 hours so he was having difficulty waking up and being able to think coherently. Little Man walks back into his room and gets in bed. Hero follows him and asks him about the popsicle. If he wanted one - yes - . Then let's go get one - no - . Thought he wanted a popsicle - yes, in the morning - . Hero came back to bed and stayed confused all night.

Our place is decked out for Christmas and it makes me happy every time I walk in the front door. It's crazy though to see FIVE stockings hung up! I know it's not a huge jump from 4 to 5 but it IS to me!!!

Our ADVENT activities are going well. So far we've had:
*Put up lights in kids' room and downstairs.
*Buy the world's perfect Christmas tree.
*Decorate the world's perfect Christmas tree.
*Attend the Ward's Christmas program

I know it's not wowsa stuff but it works for our family. We've got some more interesting & "funner" things coming up.

Ta for now. My baby has decided his bedtime is midnight. Oy.

9 comments:

Steph said...

I love your random stuff. Made me laugh out loud.

Kate said...

Love all your comments!

Is it bad of me to reward the one teen who came to church with me by taking him out to eat afterward? Hee, hee! I don't feel guilty.

Tom and Juli said...

I feel the same way you do almost every Sunday... I even try to find reasons not to go... Headache, cramps, sore throat, etc... I finally end up going and most of the time come home happy I did. Not to give you any guilt ;) just thought I'd share how it has been working out for me. Love ya!

gringa said...

WHY was someone even asking you why you haven't been at church? Really!! I don't have a "socially acceptable" answer....because it's not "socially acceptable" for them to ask you. Grrrrrr!! It's none of anyone's business and people should know better. They should just welcome you back and be done with it. Obviously whoever asked you is CLUELESS!! OK - I'm stepping off my soapbox now. That just really bugs me.
And by the way, I love you & I'm REALLY HAPPY you were there last night and today :0)

Her Royal Highness said...

No socially acceptable answer. Nope, I really can't think of one.

I'm glad your advent calendar is going well. We didn't do anything for today. We were supposed to bake Christmas cookies but then I realized ... anyway - not about me. Sorry.
I'm so digging your random stuff. I'm glad Little Man is feeling better!

Nina said...

(I'm from the LDS group on Cafemom. I'm a bit of a lurker because I don't have a lot of time to get on, but I really enjoy your blog when I get a chance to read it!)

I figure depression is a mental illness. So I usually do just go with the "I've been sick a lot" excuse. There are literally weeks when the thought of going to church gives me an anxiety attack!

I am pretty excited for morning church in January though because afternoon church has been killer with two really little kids! Also, I won't really be alert enough to have time to psych myself out about it. The one big thing is that my old skirt finally gave out and my new dress is a little too snug. So I feel really self conscious. I really need to get another dress/skirt!

HiHoRosie said...

I love you Sara...and miss you.

Love the random thoughts. So funny!

Lisa Merkley said...

I love your Christmas advent idea. In fact, Eric and I were just talking last night about when you came and judged our tree. We thought of doing it for someone else this year!

Miss you, chica!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I have felt that way too before...I just keep moving and taking my medicine! It's never easy! :)

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller