Saturday, January 22, 2011

I don't know whether it was a moment of inspiration or a moment of craziness, but I volunteered to lead the local elementary school's year-end carnival.

I would like to say it's inspiration because it's giving me the opportunity to get out of my house. The depression had turned me into a hermit and I need and want to shake that off. It's also giving me the opportunity to interact with other parents who have kids the same age as mine. All good things to help me and also help my family.

The moment of craziness? There is SO much to do! And it's a different thing than setting up an activity for church. You know, where we start/close our meetings with prayer? We didn't do that at our first meeting at the library. Anyway, the most challenging thing? NO BUDGET!!! NOTHING! NADA! NIP-ZIP! They just want to break even. Last year, they were $100 UNDER! Yikes!

But. I used to be the Activities Director for the Young Adult ward back in the day and also for the family ward. So, I do know my stuff. Especially when it comes to having a tiny budget. That wasn't a braggarty comment. It's one of the things I have confidence in doing well. I'm looking forward to learning how it works on a community level.

By the way, my husband, when I told him the news a couple of months ago... well, I imagine what he thought was something along the lines of, "Oh MAN! We just got out of the Activities deal! That means work for me!" But he has kept his mouth shut and has been showing support. Good man.

I have to say, 2011 is starting out well. Minus the gall-bladder stuff. I've completed 2 UFO's and started a 3rd tonight. Which was painting. A picture. I know diddly-squat about painting yet it's something I've always wanted to do - and I DID! I rather like the look of it so far. Looks a little bit like an oil-painting! That's good, right?

Off to give myself a pat on the back.

Do the same for yourself.

'Cuz you are ah-mazing.

7 comments:

Adelina Priddis said...

You're awesome! The carnival is going to turn out great with you leading :)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

YOU totally deserve a pat on the back!

Melinda said...

Good luck with the carnival, I hope it turns out just like you want! And way to go with the painting! Painting should just be fun, so just do it however you want! haha

Melissa said...

Busy!! It's good to be busy... right? :D Good luck with the carnival! I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Lisa Merkley said...

Good luck with the carnival! You're one brave lady to take that on!

HiHoRosie said...

You're awesome and I imagine the painting is just as awesome. Good luck on the carnival! love you!

Her Royal Highness said...

well, given the spirit of your post about the carnival - it WILL be wonderful! Attitude is how it all starts and yours is great! I'm sure that you'll do a wonderful job and when you don't sign up next year, well, they'll be really sad about that. :D
SO looking forward to visiting and seeing your UFO projects in person!!!

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller