Thursday, March 24, 2011

Over the years, my Hero and I have casually talked about moving out of our lovely state. We thought seriously about Arizona for a while but there was nothing really motivating (i.e. no job) other than... we just wanted a change. However, my parents weren't in the greatest health and so we stuck around. Life continued on with its adventures and challenges and we put the idea on the back-burner.

NO! THIS IS NOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT! (Now watch, our ward will be asking when we're moving to Timbuktu. Oy.)

Now, we're thinking very seriously about moving out of state. There are several motivating factors such as my husband needs to find a job. No, he's not yet unemployed. Thank goodness. There are just changes coming down the pike and it's just time. Does that make sense? It's time to re-think careers, and really? The experiences that we want for our family that we're just not getting here.

For example. My daughter is the only girl her age in her primary class. This primary group is SMALL. So there are no girlfriends for her. At school, the dynamics are such that the kids don't really get together. Playdate? What's that? She is so lonely and just could really use some girlfriends that also have the same religious background. But we also want to be in a place that is diverse so she continues to have experience that way. Actually - I should clarify that particular point of kids getting together. I've come to see that if you're in an apartment... you're probably not in that group so much where people get together. I think it's different when you have a baby or little ones. It's like you're starting out. However, when your kids are a bit older - while nobody really consciously thinks about it, it's just different. Different circles. Gah - I'm not able to put my thoughts into coherent sentences.

Hm.

In any case, we are going to move. No idea where and no idea when. However, it's time. It's time to sally forth to a place that benefits our kids and in turn, us as parents. Which brings me to another point...

I NEED GIRLFRIENDS! I'll admit that when Natalie was out here, I got a little jealous (but 99.99% happy for her) in that she had met some girlies that she was chummy with. I don't have that here. I'm not saying moving and having a house is the answer to all my woes of loneliness. However, I do think it would help. Just something I've observed over the years. There is just really nobody here (minus HiHoRosie) that digs crafts out here. Or if they do, they're already in their own circle of friends and you know how hard it is? Okay, how hard it is for ME to finagle, worm, incorporate myself into that? Gah. I'm so messed up.

Okay - that was a long, incoherent, rambling post. Not apologizing for it however. It's in my mind and I needed to spew it out. Or is it eschew?

There I go.

7 comments:

Packer Family said...

Move to AZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her Royal Highness said...

Let me tell you something.
Sara, you have to let people in. Girlfriends want to be involved in your life. They want to know YOU. They want to help you and in turn get help from you - both parties with no questions asked. Girlfriends want to be able to say anything without being judged.
I learned this the hard way. When we moved, I kept my mouth closed half the time (because you know me - Miss Mouth) because I needed to feel the dynamics of how things worked here. Who was genuine, who was a gossiper, etc... And then I opened up to select few. and then it grew.
Start small. And sometimes a fresh start is EXACTLY what is needed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say something that might torque you, PLEASE explain to people that you have a hard time hearing them. Sometimes us "hearing" folk forget that and take it as snobbiness. (Not that I have ever thought that of you - because I deal with it at home, too. But I'm thinking of others' perspective.)
have a fun time with this new adventure. You have SO much to offer, let those girlies in and love them!!!
And you girlies who think she's a snob - you should really let her in, too. You're really missin' out right now.

Lisa Merkley said...

You know, I find it hard to just shove myself into a group, too. And unfortunately, I find myself in "Comparison Camp" way too much. You know...my house isn't as big as hers so I can't host a party...or she always has such great original ideas and mine are all copies, etc. It severely limits my friend-making abilities.
Also, I am convinced that your "friends" at any given point in your life are the parents of kids that are the same age and life situation as yours. If Boo is the only girl, then yeah...I totally understand how her not having friends can be the same for you.
But just remember chica, that I love you and miss you. Wish I was there so we could craft and hang out together!

HiHoRosie said...

Just move close to ME!!!!!!!!!! :) I understand where you're coming from, the need for a change and growth but I would have a major sad if you left me...here...alone...

Melissa said...

Change can be a good thing! We've moved 13 times in the last 13 years with move number 14 nipping at us right now (we'll probably stay in this town at least). I know what you're going through. We've lived in areas where it just felt difficult to make friends (either for me or my kids). I hope that you find what you're looking for!!
And hey... we're in AZ... super Southern AZ... but still... we're here :)

Tiffany said...

Oh Sara. How I feel I had written that post. I, too, am hard of hearing as you know so get labeled snob. We need a change for hubs job and my kids only have eachother, not because we live in an apartment but because we live in a very old, very established neighborhood. Your post made absolute sense to me and I'm so glad to read the replies/comments to your post. I wouldn't mind if you moved to Arizona, we are. We could be neighbors.:) Love you so much. Sometimes I feel as if my best friends are on-line and the ones I haven't personally met.:)

Rosanna said...

Aaron and I tend to have similar conversations all the time!

I am excited for you and what your future has to offer. I hope that you can find a place that really feels like home...girlfriends and all!

...you know, I am always up for a little hangin' out, crafting, and girl stuff. (hint hint)

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller