I participated in a SWAP where people across the globe, exchanged some of their favorite things. My swap partner, Kate, sent me a lovely package. Among the items, was a cd of hand-picked songs just for me. (I'm assuming that were some of her favorites.) Anyway, I eagerly played the cd and found... I didn't really care too much for the music. That, WOW, we didn't really have the same taste in this sort of thing. That was okay, I appreciated (hugely) the time she took in putting the cd & package together just for me.
Time went by. Then, as I was talking to Hero, the subject of lyrics came up. He knows that I can't understand the words that are sung as there's no mouth for me to lipread. He knows that even if there was a mouth for me to follow along with, I still wouldn't get it as singing distorts the mouth (as opposed to speaking.) I'm sure that frustrated him to a small degree whenever he would exclaim to me, "Ohhh! This is in your music collection I have on my zen!" Let me explain, on his mp3 "ZEN" player, he has sorted his music into Boo's Collection, Sariqd's collection and I don't know what other collection he has. Anyway, he puts songs in there that make him feel a certain emotion. Boo's songs are about Father & Daughter. My collection has songs in there about us, me, life, growing old together, lovers, struggles, etc. etc. Now, to go back to our discussion, I didn't understand why the strong emotional ties he has to certain songs. At that point, he decided that he would pick out a song from "my" collection and send me the lyrics every day. When I would open the email, I could see the song and get it playing on napster and follow along with the lyrics. WOW. These songs had some PUNCH! I mean, some of these lyrics are not exactly eloquent. However, they convey the thoughts, the emotions, the LOVE that my Hero is trying to get across. I've come to look forward to these daily emails and regret (in a minute way of course) when he's home on the weekends as I don't get that visually, albeit printed words, affirmation of love. Don't get me wrong, he's wonderful in expressing his love for me. The songs however, are poetry in motion.
Now, I'm discovering what WONDERFUL lyrics there are out there. I'm also discovering, whoa, that song was about WHAT?!?! And much to my dismay on THOSE, I have deleted them out of my own zen player. *sniff*
What songs have touched you? Why? Blog about it, if you will. I'm going to... with the following:
"Thankful"
Josh Groban
Some days we forget
To look around us
Some days we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.
Look beyond ourselves
There's so much sorrow
It's way too late to say
I'll cry tomorrow
Each of us must find our truth
It's so long overdue
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And every day we hope for
What we still can't see
it's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.
Even with our differences
There is a place we're all connected
Each of us can find each othere's light
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see
it's up to us to be the change
And even though this world needs so much more
There's so much to be thankful for.
My Hero has a tradition of writing me a Christmas Letter every year. It is the one single thing I look forward to on Christmas Morning that comes from him. He included the lyrics to this song in my letter and played the song for me as I read. Hero? Are you reading this? I love you always and forever. I am thankful for you, my one and only Hero. Thank you for the reminder that I too, have much to be thankful for.
2 comments:
Awesome. Totally & completely awesome.
I'm not a HUGE fan of the lyrics of "Grace Kelly" by Mika, but I LOVE the melody.
And I'm not a huge fan of the meldoy of "If I had a million dollars" by BNL, but the lyrics crack me up.
I'll have to do some thinking and see what some of my favorite lyrics are. And then I'll blog about it.
How sweet! I am so envious that your Hero does that for you.
My favorite lyrics are from Martina McBride's In My Daughter's Eyes.
It's a nearly-but-still-not-complete description of my feelings for my children.
Post a Comment