Have you ever wanted to do something, create something because it really interests you? Yet,you don't. You shut yourself down with a comment such as, "Oh, I don't have the talent for that."
How do you know? Do you think talents are just born in you or are made? How do you know if you have a talent (or flair) for something without trying?
Just curious.
People tell me that I'm so crafty.
I'm NOT. At least, I don't believe I am. I just like to try new things and see what happens. I like to think of things as experiments. If it works out - FABULOUS! YAY FOR ME! If it doesn't - man! And I try to figure out how to make it work.
Like this.
I don't know how to sew. Correction: I don't know how to read patterns. I know how to sew in straight lines. Which is why jumping from making simple receiving blankets to a SKIRT?! SCARY! Even if the pattern is called, "Lazy Days Skirt" and touts the fact that after making this simple skirt, you'll have time to, "Sit on the porch swing & sip lemonade." Yeah right. After *coughs3hourscoughs* I figured out what "selvage" was. It's all gobbledygook to me...
After this labor-intensive job of pinning... I had to watch a cooking show. Just to take my mind off of things. Sewing is definitely not my forte (with the accent on the e).
Did I ever tell you that I hate going too fast? I feel like I'm going to lose control? I go like this... puh-puh-puh-puhhbrrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrWHOAHHHpuh-puuuhhh-puhhh. It takes me for-evah.
I cheated on this step. I was supposed to take ribbon and fold it over and sew it... and then sew it again... and at one point, iron it. I think. Instead, I just got some quilt-binding that comes all pretty & ironed and just stuck the raw edges into it and sewed it shut. I actually like it because it made the skirt stand out more. See? It's all about experimenting!
And - I don't have a finished picture. Sorry, I'll make my daughter model it so you can see the finished product.
Anyway, the moral of the story is:
EVEN IF IT TAKES YOU 7 HOURS TO MAKE A 2-HOUR SOMETHING (I.E. SKIRT), GO AND TRY SOMETHING NEW! You'll be proud of yourself! :)





9 comments:
Awesome story and you are so right!
People, YOU DON'T KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY!
You rock your bad self as always my dear. I WANT to see the finished skirt!
I really, really want to try sewing.. I think I'm going to now!
xoxo
I saw it on Sunday. LOVED IT!
Bravo Sara! It looks like it's really cute. I hear ya on the straight lines thing, and I even know how to read the patterns (mostly). I got to thinking the other day that maybe I want to make myself a skirt and slammed the door on that idea pretty quickly. 1) I've got too many projects in the wings already and 2) I'm scared of zippers. I don't know how many times my mom has shown me how to do them and I think "Oh, that's not bad," but get knock-kneed when it's time to try again. Maybe in the spring...
First: LOVE the fabric! I'm all over patterned fabric right now.
Second: I'm right there with you - that's why I quilt. Straight lines.
Third: I'm glad you tried AND that it worked out for you! YAYAYA!
Thank you, Sara! I'm now going to get out the fabric and pattern that are sitting on my desk intimidating me and I'm going to turn it into the cutest bag you've ever seen!
Cute fabric! I'd love to see the finished project, too! I'm lucky with sewing, my in-laws sew a ton (all of their clothes) and my mom used to sew a lot before it became cheaper to buy clothes than make them, so I can get help.
glad that it worked for you and yeah for making something.
hi, hon. I'm sorry about the pancake post on my blog. There is a formal appology on there. Please come and see.:O)
Post a Comment