Magical Munchy Popcorn!
As requested by my friend at My Ice Cream Diary...
Before I go on though, I'm ashamed to say, there is one reason why I'm hesitant to post this particular recipe.
*SIGH*
The recipe is so simple that I'm ashamed that I'll lose all credibility in the kitchen. YOU know, it's one of those recipes that takes 15 minutes because you're just waiting for the um.... well... you're just basically standing there.
HOWEVER, because she's a good friend, I'll post the recipe below.
INGREDIENTS:
- ALMOND BARK
- MICROWAVE LIGHT POPCORN
(See? Embarrassingly simple.)
1) Go to TOPS grocery store and buy this Almond Bark. I've tried other brands and well, I just don't like them at ALL. This one is YUMMERS and it's on sale right now! 2 for $5.00! GO! RUN! It's a seasonal product so HURRY!2) While you're there, pick up the microwave popcorn. Ew - don't buy the butter stuff. It'll just make a big mess of it and you'll be so crabby about it. If there was ever a time where you needed to just blindly trust in someone? This would be it. (Again - another plug for my favorite Almond Bark.)
3) Now, you're home. Get out a saucepan. Take that package of Bark and whack it on the counter. Go ahead. Just think of some icky bug that's under there or something. When it's broken up into pieces (no need to make it turn into powder), dump it all into the pan and turn it on LOW. You can't rush on this. TRULY. This stuff will seize on you, i.e. turn CRABBY on you by way of burning & turning nasty. Low & slow is how it goes. You don't have to hover over it, but you do need to stir it up from time to time.
4) You're gonna start popping the popcorn. Yep, you're going to use all three bags that come in that box. When you've got one bag popped, get the next one going. While that one's going, dump the first bag into a bowl and using your hands, sift out the good popcorn into a second big bowl. Leave the half-popped & unpopped kernels out of it. In fact, when you're done sifting, DUMP THEM INTO THE GARBAGE! Okay. Need to calm myself down here.... *breathes* Okay. You're going to do this for each bag.
5) Once all the popcorn is popped & sifted and the bark is melted, you'll want to make sure that you've put down either silpats down on the counter-top or some waxed paper. I probably should of mentioned this earlier... Sorry.
6) Back to the popcorn & bark. Pour the bark over the popcorn and start mixing it up. I find that if I just scrape the bowl and pull it up through the middle (think "folding" method) it gets it pretty covered. You're gonna get a little bit on your hands. That's okay. I don't think anybody has ever died from licking almond bark off one's fingers.
7) Pour the coated popcorn onto the silpats/waxed paper & use your spatula to break up the larger clumps. Leave it alone and let it set. That means, let it dry. Try not to have this sitting under hot kitchen lights otherwise, it'll take for-evah.
8) Once popcorn is dry/set, just break it up more and put into baggies or an air-tight container. We prefer to put it in our mouths.
What makes this Munchy Popcorn so Magical? Well, it's that secret ingredient I didn't mention above... but I'll give you a little hint. It's added when you've sprinkled a little love on it by sharing it with a friend.


4 comments:
I was hoping it would be so easy. Thank you again, it really turned my day around.
Yum--this looks SO good! I can't wait to try it. You are a TRUE friend, by the way!
Mmmmmm. You SO have not lowered my view of you in the kitchen. You've enhanced it even more by sharing a recipe that I can do! THANK YOU!!!
I should point out, that your visual of breaking the bark over a bug was not one I was keen on. I don't like to use yummy food to kill bugs - just FYI. :D
Oh - question. How much popped popcorn does 3 bags make? I don't do the microwave stuff anymore, I do the HRH method of over the stove... Just a question.
how totally cool...although i have never seen almond bark OR that brand of popcorn. i'm gonna see what's in our lowly eastern supermarkets :)
Post a Comment