What are some of your most pivotal moments in your life? (Ya, I realize "most" is rather redundant here but, bear with me.) Do you remember how you were blessed with clarity of mind, a sense of purpose & direction as a result of those pivotal moments? Were they GRAND moments or just small incidences where you suddenly think, "Huh."
Obviously I'm not going to name ALL of those moments, but here is one.
Depression sucks. (Sorry to use that vernacular - but it's entirely appropriate. For me.) Last night, I read an article about how depression feeds on itself. Isn't that SO TRUE? I knew that I had to work on it but didn't have the energy. This article (if I can find it, I'll post the link), was written by a psychotherapist who says that she challenges her patients to use their 5 senses every day. For example, go outside and look at what colors are all around. Don't just say "green leaves on the tree." Go deeper, what do you notice? What do you smell? What do you hear? What do you taste? Now, I'm not one to suggest that (this is me speaking) you go eat a maple leaf. In fact, I strongly advise NOT to. However, you ever notice that when you're filled with the sense of the beautiful outdoors, food tastes better? More complex?
"If you don't shake it up, depression really might feed on itself and get worse. You might go from staying home, to losing weight, to sleeplessness, hopelessness, and helplessness. The perfectly fabulous person you are might feel like a loser and think life not worthwhile. You do have to work at getting better. The alternative's unacceptable peeps. Not on my watch. Shake it up."
Waking up this morning, I felt like my heart beat for the first time in a couple of weeks. Some answers just came to me about what I need to do and I feel at peace with those answers. I'm going to work on it. I'm going to, "SHAKE IT UP!"
12 comments:
I have had a few of those moments in my life. I'm glad you are going to shake it up! If you need another shaker let me know:)
I know what you mean. When my winter depression hits the hard part is getting up off my duff to do the shaking that I need.
Pivotal moments for me:
1. Learning not to apologize for my choices in life (even my choice to have a very messy house now and then)
2. Realizing (and accepting) how long term marriages work.
3. Letting go of other people's choices and seperating myself from their consequences.
4. Realizing that I still need to find myself every now and then.
P.S. Thank you so much for helping me today. I've had those things sitting on my couch for 3 days and just kept putting it off. And it was fun having someone to talk to while doing it. =) Now I need to stop procrastinating the quilt...
So glad 4 u. Depression is a nightmare, or can be. Shake it up indeed. Get some dirt under those fingernails! :D
Sounds like you are doing better. I have never really thought about that before. I too, have battled with depression, it is actually a lifelong thing with me. Heriditary-Dang family! Anyway-I am going to go out and do that tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it! Thanks for all these great questions-really have got me thinking.
I would love the link! I suffer from depression also. Danged hereditary from mom and dad!:OP. I am so thankful for my great hubby and meds. Yesterday, it was funny. I saw myself before, and myself now. Heavenly Father sure loves me, this I know. I am so thankful to live in a day of modern meds. Now, I am not some psycho beast I don't recognize.:O) Love you! Glad you are feeling better.
I love you Fluffy! Glad to hear you're gonna shake things up! :-D
I am so glad for you. That must feel good. I am wishing more of those moments for you to have!
Wisdom. Straight up, and true. :)
I thought I might have issues with depression, because I was struggling for many year there, and my mom has always had issues with deep depression.
As she and I were talking one day, when I was at a particularly low point, she said that in her experience, after all the hours of and money spent on therapy, all the medications that didn't really help or work, the bottom line is that she believes depression is simply an inner voice saying that things are out of balance and saying that you have a need that is screaming to be met after serious neglect.
That changed the way I viewed things. Instead of just moping, I decided that when I feel that depression coming on, I must stop and search for the need that isn't being met, decide how to get it met, and do it. Like you said, 'shake it up.' Like Ice Cream Diary said, 'get off my duff' and do something about it! Don't just wallow!
I so admire you for your strength and perseverance right now. I am so praying and hoping for your success!
I find that most of my 'clarity of mind' moments occur after a heavy battle to determine just how committed to the cause I am, after some struggles that force me to dig deep inside myself, and after I've paid the price through seeking understanding and being willing to challenge the old stand-bys of my thought processes and let go of my former, useless tactics and techniques.
Only then, after the fight, does the clarity arrive.
Best wishes to you!!
Wow Sara. this post has left me thinking so many different things that this is all I can write. Have fun shaking it up! Time for me to go think some more...
Shake it up sistah! I love you!
Shake it up!! Wahoo!! A lot of my moments seem to revolve around family or music. Songs that I've heard that have touched me in some really great way... motivated me to move forward with purpose. It may sound cheesy, but, ya know :)
I love that thought about using all your senses... I'm sitting here right now by my open door... and I can see the joy in employing all of your senses!!
shake it up and live life. I have had some big moments too and I too try to shake it up.
Post a Comment