Sunday, October 04, 2009

Ugh.

That expression really sums up today. Apart from having a lovely sleep-in this morning and smelling delicious smells waft up from the kitchen, it's been a cranky day. We set the expectations with our kids that it's SUNDAY and it's GENERAL CONFERENCE. Therefore, they are still expected to be reverent, quiet & respectful. Did that happen? Even for a millisecond? NO. We didn't even make it through the opening prayer before we were getting after the kids. They would quiet down and then immediately just burst like 4th of July fireworks. BOOOM! KABOOM! CRASH!

Ugh.

Needless to say, I didn't get any spiritual edification. Nor did my family.

We'll try again next time.

And as a side-note here... Hero just came down and said, "I wished we had known what my cousin did! She put out a cup of marshmallows and m&m's. The kids could only get one every time they heard the words: church, pray, and prayer. So they were quiet and listened!"

Sigh. I wish I had thought of that.

...

...

...

Will somebody please remind me of that tip before next GC? Thanks.

2 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

love that idea! i wish we had known too. gideon took a pencil to the walls minutes before conference started-agh! then i got a horrible headache...there's always next time.:)

Steph said...

Last year we tried "Conference Bingo", not unlike your marshmallow idea. It made a huge difference! This year my 9yo and 11yo said their favorite talk was Jeffrey R. Holland's fiery testimony of the Book of Mormon! LOL! My 8yo and 4yo (and 13yo) are still in the marshmallow eating stage though. So I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. It is not requisite that they should listen harder than they have maturity. We can always read Conference in the Ensign while they are sleeping. ;)

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller