"A friend will tell you she saw your old boyfriend - and he's a priest."
Erma Bombeck
The other day, Hero & I & the kids went to a birthday party for a friend of ours. He turned 100 years old and I'm serious. This party was amazing in that we were able to see pictures of his life and hear stories from a wizened old cowboy about their friendship. We saw letters of birthday congratulations that he received from the Queen of England, President Bush, the Govenor of Canada, and the Govenor of Washington state. All for reaching his 100th milestone. Isn't that amazing?
And yet? A secret part of me went to the party simply because I knew that there would be a SOMEONE there.... A guy. Who is the grandson of our friend that I used to have a huge crush on when I was 18. I blush to think of it now but hey. Anyway, yes I took extra care in applying makeup & styling my hair. I made sure my family looked their best. All for what?
I saw him across the gym and I KNOW he knows I was there. Because I had just spoken with his mom and I KNOW she would've told him that I was there. He just had a stoic look on his face and wasn't interacting with anyone. It startled me a little and I got scared... I mean, all those insecure & awkward feelings came bubbling up inside me. So, I quickly turned around and started babbling to some friends. All while my mind was trying to work up the gumption to go up and say, "Hi Mr.!" I saw him again later, in a different part of the gym and then when I finally worked up my nerve to introduce my family to him, he disappeared. WHAT? Just when I AM READY, he leaves? SOOOO not cool.
Anyway... I don't know why he disappeared. I don't know why I let myself get worked up into a silly tizzy...
Well, I do.
I wanted to show him that I had been successful in getting married, having kids, and being happy. All without him. To subtly say, "Ha HAH! See my lovely family? See my handsome husband? You missed out BUDDY!"
Silly, silly, silly.
5 comments:
LOL! You showed him!
Ahem... this will be long... I dated a kid in high school that I thought I would marry. We broke up, but kind of got back together before he went on his mission. He asked me to wait for him. I said yes... fast forward a few months... I'm talking to a friend that I haven't seen in awhile... he asked her to wait for him too. A few weeks later I get a call from my friend, she has found ANOTHER girl that was waiting for this missionary. He got home from his mission a few days before I was getting married and I invited him and his family to the reception... for the EXACT same reason (well, minus the awesome kids part) you stated. I wanted to show him that I married a great guy and was VERY HAPPY with my choice. I feel childish just writing it down... but I thought you'd like to know that you aren't alone ;)
Ok, you described the eact same thing my sister just went through at a funeral. She is still laughing at herself and cussing the guy for leaving too soon. =)
I still like to get updates on the guy I almost married (but shhh, don't tell) hee hee.
:D I like reading this. It's fun. What makes us so human? I still wonder about so and so here and there from time to time. I mean I dated some gals in High School and it seems like everyone just dropped off the face of the planet! Ah well. Well you certainly did luck out I must say. Especially Hero for having me as a bro in law. ;D
ok-i found your blog from Melissa-love it! i find that you are right on about many things that happen to us in life. I have many times wished that i could run into a old flame, just so I could see how uncute he is and he could see how FaBULOUS I am. You know, the whole petty girl fantasy thing that we all secretely want to happen I hope you don't mind, but i am going to add you to my blog roll. Come Say Hi sometime. Have a fabulous day!
Post a Comment