Friday, March 21, 2008

Trippy Tulips

Napolean Dynamite had numchuck (?) skills, and maybe I do too, but I've never claimed any blogging skills , so when Sariqd asked me to be a Guest Blogger for her I was nervous, but here I go.

Everyday on the corner of 4th and Madison in downtown Seattle there is this guy that sets up this portable flower shop, truly nothing more than a cart with a canopy and a few buckets of water to keep his flowers in. The flowers are fine, but I'm usually in a rush to catch my bus, so I've never stopped to buy anything from him.

Wednesday was the same thing...I was rushing out of my building heading out to catch my bus (it would be here any minute) but as I walked by this flower stand I saw these beautiful tulips...almost salmon pink in color and I decided I could quickly make a purchase and still catch my bus.

In an effort to expedite the transaction I handed the vendor the payment as I made my selection, but this obvious cue was lost on this guy as he slowly extracted the flowers from the bucket and held them there to drain. I just knew my bus was barreling through downtown Seattle and that it would be there any minute and I wouldn't be on it!

There he was, holding the flowers above the bucket as the stems drained oceans of water off themselves and back into the bucket! I was looking over my shoulder, pacing back and forth without taking my feet off the ground as he slowly turned around and asked me if I wanted him to wrap any of them separately or all in one bunch...one bunch was fine.

Mr. Slow-Motion-Chatter Box then asks me: "Have you had a weird day today?" "Actually, it's been a pretty good day today" I said, but the thought bubble above my head read: "What kind of weird question is that? Who asks that? That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. This guy is weird!" Fortunately for me he couldn't see the thought bubble.

By this time I know that I'm going to miss my bus, all because this guy's asking me this weird question...at least when I get home late I'll have some flowers in hand to help make up for the fact that Sari's going to be late for an appointment...all because this guy doesn't get that I'm in a hurry!

This guy still doesn't sense that I've got to get going as he continues: "I've had a really weird day today. All kinds of strange things have been happening to me today." My thought bubble changes: "Oh great! Now I'm going to have this guy tell me about his day!" Meanwhile a bus is charging down 4th Avenue and I know it's the 404 to Edmonds and I'm not going to be on it!

Then I hear the flower guy say: "For example, I just came back from a break and there was a homeless guy sitting here selling my flowers." In spite of my need to catch my bus and my impatience with Mr. Flower-man, I had to laugh out loud. Some guy had just taken over the flower shop and was just selling the flowers!

The flower guy handed me the wrapped flowers and thanked me for stopping. I smiled, thanked him for the flowers and told him I hoped he had a regular rest of his day. Then I crossed the street just in time to catch my bus.

Isn't that weird!

2 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Weird! LOL! Nice post. Any pics of the salmon colored tulips? :)

Melissa said...

I too would love to see the tulips! They don't grow in the gardens down here... too hot :(

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller