Saturday, September 06, 2008

This weekend...

I went to Marina Beach.




I almost drowned.




Okay, I didn't.




But, the waves came out of nowhere. Yes, I know they came from the ocean. Duh! They were originally just lapping gently until BOOM, CRASH, BOOM! Causing me & Sam to squeal and scurry away and cause an old man to laugh at our silliness.


This morning, I made oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies for Hero & Boo to take to Grandpa's for the BYU-Huskies Football game on tv. I'm such a nice wife. And mom.




Here's the finished result. You know, cookies just really aren't all that attractive unless they're frosted & decorated, are they? Anyway. These are delish.




Little Man said, "That's mine. That's mine. That's mine." as I was placing the cookies on the cooling rack.




Then, I went out into my garden and spied some lovely RED tomatoes! Hallelujah - the sun ripened the tomatoes!




I harvested them, along with one cucumber. It's not the finest specimen of a cuke we've had but it's still homegrown. Can't get any better than that!



I sliced them up... don't worry about cross-contamination by me using a "fish" cutting mat. We don't eat seafood so I use it for veggies.



Then marinated them in red wine vinegar & oil, sprinkled some kosher salt & cracked ground pepper. Feeling the love? Oh yeah baby!





My house is still a disaster as I took a long nap after lunch (no, I didn't eat any of this). But, when I have pictures to show that I've been a happy homemaker making lovely goodies for my family, I am satisfied and all is well in the world. Especially as my Hero is happy because I made these lovely things for him, Boo & Grandpa to share while celebrating BYU's victory today. I like it when BYU wins... I can get away with long naps.

6 comments:

Packer Family said...

Ahh long naps!! You'll have to make me that cucumber tomato dish! It looks so good!

apyknowzitall said...

You just HAD to show off your tomatoes!

I don't know if you ever tried this but try your cukes sliced in rice vinegar, it's really sweet and good. And I can't believe you use a melon baller to scoop your cookies out... or have any batter left to actually make cookies;)

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Mmmmmm, cookies. I love BYU, go Cougs! I love that you use a melon baller for your dough. With all guys in my house, half the dough goes to the tummy before it even has a chance to hit the oven. (Of course mom helps.:O)

Lisa said...

I've been meaning to check out your blog forever, but I always forget! :-)

The beach is just beautiful! I love it, but haven't been in years.

Oh, your food looks so yummy! Oatmeal chocolate cookies are my absolute favorite kind. I snitch the dough at every stage while I make it.

Your vegetables look so yummy. I'm going to have to try that recipe sometime. My mouth is watering just looking at it!

Oh, and just FYI, this is Lisa (degsyuna) from CafeMom. ;-)

Melissa said...

A day at the beach sounds so fun! I love the sneaky waves :)

You are a good mom and wife! I can't remember the last time I made cookies... hmm... maybe I should do that tomorrow, eh?

I wish we had a garden! Someday... someday...

HiHoRosie said...

I.Am.So.Jealous.Of.Your.Tomatoes. When will ours ripen?!?!?!?! Yours look beautiful along with the cucumber.

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller