
In exploring the web for new pictures to put on my blog, I happened to come across this one. I fell in love with it. The beautiful, bright colors. The picture of the woman sitting next to the boxes waiting for a customer. I immediately lost myself in wondering about the place (India), the woman, the colored powders, the marketplace, etc. I knew that I wanted this picture and as I was about to download it, I noticed the disclaimer at the bottom, "Pictures may be copyrighted." And the LAST thing I wanted to happen is for me to get into some trouble with using somebody's picture. Yet, I couldn't stop looking at this picture. I began to explore his website and found many, many beautiful pictures that he had taken. I also found out that his wife had passed away last year... From what I gather, she was a vibrant and certainly beautiful lady. I could tell that she was very much loved. I felt awkward as I felt I was somehow intruding upon something that was sacred to them. Surprising myself - - I actually emailed the owner of the website/pictures. I wasn't expecting a reply. For all he knows, I'm just some wacko-lady on the net. Yet, he took the time to reply to me, a stranger.
To Willem:
"I am emailing you to ask if I could use this picture in my personal blog, provided that I provide the link back to your website. My blog is just a silly, personal one that doesn't have anything to do with India or anything of deep meaning (at times). However, I love art and this is my year to get back in touch with that after having dealt with the deaths of my parents in the past few years and everything else that life has thrown at me. If you say no, that's fine. Please know that I appreciate your time in reading this request."
His response:
"Hello ______:
You can use the pic on your blog, and you don't have to link back to my website. Just use it. That is the style of the internet anyway. How can you police these things? I don't care. Use anything you like.
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. As you might have read in my web Family Album, my wife passed away only 8 months ago. Although I knew that it was coming, it still hit me like an atom bomb, so I know a little about your pain.
Be brave, be strong and look at the positive side of life.
Peace,
Willem"
You can use the pic on your blog, and you don't have to link back to my website. Just use it. That is the style of the internet anyway. How can you police these things? I don't care. Use anything you like.
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. As you might have read in my web Family Album, my wife passed away only 8 months ago. Although I knew that it was coming, it still hit me like an atom bomb, so I know a little about your pain.
Be brave, be strong and look at the positive side of life.
Peace,
Willem"
Peace to you Willem and thank you...
3 comments:
Wow. What an experience. I wish I had something clever or interesting to say. I'm still just feeling the moment.
I love the picture. The colors are beautiful!
Thanks for sharing it, thanks to Willem also.
I'm sorry to hear about your parents' deaths. I pray peace for you!
Absolutely beautiful! The picture and the letters.
That's wonderful that he emailed you back.
Question: Waht are those powsers used for, do you know? The colors are beautiful & reminde me of my chalk set...
Post a Comment