Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year's Resolutions. I don't believe in them. Really, I don't. However, I do enjoy picking a motto to live by. Therefore, let me introduce my motto for 2008.

"Love what you do. Do what you love."


I love raising my kids. I love providing a safe haven for my family. I love serving others. I love my calling in church. These are all wonderful things. I am aware of things that I need to do with all of these things to make it stronger. I am working on those things.... Yet, I am feeling a little "starved." In the sense of, not being my own person. Does that make sense? I am committing myself to expressing more of my creativity.

I have about 360+ days to work on expressing myself through these various mediums. These things are what brings me calm when I am feeling chaotic inside. It goes to reason that if I can feel calm & a little less "starved," I can bring more to my family.

Photography - My dad was a photographer. I remember in 7th grade, he bought me my first Pentax camera for my photography class. We used to go out to the farmer's market or the Hollywood Schoolhouse and take pictures. He would give me advice on themes, balance, lighting, etc. When I grew older, he gave me a box camera. I LOVED that camera. Sadly, it has disappeared amongst moves. He also gave me another Pentax camera just before he passed away. Now, with the invention of digital cameras... I'm content with my Kodak Z650. I'm hoping to upgrade... possibly by my birthday! (Hero: hint! hint!)

Jewelry - I love earrings & rings. I wear earrings more than rings however. This is also another hobby brought to me by my dad. He taught me how to make porcupine quill earrings. I loved sharing a bit of the Native American culture with him. My mom, also, taught me how to do beadwork.

Painting - I love to paint. I have a brother who's an artist who taught me how to mix colors, how to add definition & depth to paintings. I would love to work with acrylics but they're so expensive! Watercolors is going to be my medium for this year.

Writing - I love to write. I know my grammar can be scary at times and perhaps, my thoughts a little too jumbled or even convoluted. I just really enjoy writing. Especially fiction for younger children. With all the self-publishing programs out there, and now with the ISBN info you can tag to your books, I'm really looking into just doing this! Wanna buy a book?

Wood-carving - I was introduced to this in the 5th grade. We did a wood-block carving and then used it to make a print. Since then, I've been given my dad's old carving tools. He also gave me an ELECTRIC carver with different tips. HALLUJAH! I really enjoy the electric as it's easier on my hands.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Sounds like a fun, fun list of hobbies/projects. My dad was a photographer, and I remember how fun it was to watch him in action, in all facets of the process.

You are obviously a very talented, multi-faceted woman. I'll try not to be envious! ;-)

Rozemary said...

Lol. Sounds like we have a lot of hobbies in commen and a few common goals for the new year! You go girl!! :)

Beauty alone makes all the world happy, and every being forgets its limitations as long as it experiences her enchantment.

Friedrich von Schiller