When someone says the words, "Mother Bear," what does that conjure up in your mind? Someone that is fiercely protective of their children? Someone that will do anything at all costs to prevent anything damaging to her family?
May I tell you about my friend? We were in the same ward years ago. I was 16-17 and she was 12ish. I was a Laurel and she was a brand-new Beehive. I got to know her and the other Beehives in her class. She was cute, funny and a good swimmer. I remember her and a friend of hers washing their hair over and over to keep it from getting green from the chlorine. Anyway - back on track here. We moved out of the ward, I went to college, life moved on. Then, when my nephew was baptized not too long ago, this woman who was there comes up to me. Her eyes looked so familiar to me but I couldn't place who she was. She said, "You probably don't remember me? Jori?" I immediately replied, "JORI *********" (***- is her last name. Not literally, but just protecting her.) We gave each other big hugs and briefly got caught up with each other. Later on, we began to email and now, we check out each other's blogs. I couldn't believe (and still can't) that she has 3 kids! Older than MY kids! Too funny! I have really come to enjoy getting to know her all over again. Seeing her perspective on life in general has been uplifting for me with all the challenges she goes through. Her testimony is one of the strongest and ... most humble I have seen in a long time.
I happened to be reading my google-reader and this friend had written a post on her blog that she has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Surprisingly, she was calm and matter-of-fact about it. She provided the link with which her fellow readers could check out the details about the type of cancer she has. She talked about how she's been so busy that she hasn't had time to really focus on it.
So where am I going with this and the whole "Mother Bear" bit? Well, she's always going to be my little Beehive. I know she's a grown-up now yet she always has had a special place in my heart. Now, with finding out about the trials in her life and the cancer junk, I'm MAD. I know that it's not my trial to bear, and from what she has shared, it's one of the "minor" cancers one can get, but dang it all! I wish I could protect her from it all. I wish I could be there to hold her hand. I don't like seeing my friends, my family, or even the little kids at the playground get hurt!
I hope she'll forgive me for writing about her. But, by the same token, I hope she knows how much I adore her and hope all goes well. That she has been in my prayers and will continue to be.
2 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I know she's probably happy to have a friend like you in her corner. I hope that all will go well for her in her battle. My prayers are with her, and you.
****HUGS**** & Best Wishes to you both!!
I love you Sarah!! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, and wonderful words. Big hugs right back atcha!
Post a Comment